With 26 plates - the Bavarian court librarian's copy

Mezger, Joseph, OSB. Historia Salisburgensis, hoc est, vitae episcoporum, et archiepiscorum Salisburgensium, nec non Abbatum monasterii S. Petri.

Salzburg, Johann Baptist Mayr, 1692.

Folio (212 x 320 mm). (40), 1278, (56) pp. With engr. frontispiece, engr. folding map, and 24 (mostly folding) engr. plates. Contemp. blindstamped pigskin; ms. spine label (c. 1718).

First edition, first printing of Mezger's monumental chronicle of Salzburg, covering the years 582-1687. This copy, from the library of the Munich court librarian Johann Caspar Kandler, is the only known complete copy, containing more plates than the copy in the Austrian National Library. Of the five copies auctioned during the last two decades, one contained a mere 5 engravings, the others none at all. As compared with the list of plates as provided by Nebehay/Wagner, our copy wants two triumphal arches (and another engraving present only in copies issued after 1699), but instead has two other plates not listed there: a different arch and the martyrdom of St Maximus. "Die Kupferstichbeilagen in den verschiedenen Exemplaren variieren sehr stark. Alle 25 Tafeln konnten bisher noch in keinem Exemplar festgestellt werden. Insbesondere die Tafel, die eine Datierung von 1699 aufweist, kann selbstverständlich nur in Exemplaren, die nach dieser Zeit herausgegeben wurden, vorkommen" (Nebehay/W.). Entirely complete, with a distinct waterstain throughout; loss of corner to half-title (not touching text); corner to f. Zzz2 remargined. Ms. ownership "Ex libris Joannis Kandleri Monacensis" (dated 1706) on pastedown and half-title. The Bavarian scholar Johann Kaspar Kandler (1644-1718), son of an innkeeper and father of the important Augustinian friar Agnellus Kandler (1692-1745), first served as secretary to the Bavarian delegation at the Regensburg Imperial Diet; he then became Privy Registrator in Munich, where he was also appointed court librarian. After his death, the volume was transferred to the library of the Munich Augustinians (their ms. ownership, dated 1718, on title page). The monastery, secularized in 1803, now houses the Munich Police Headquarters.

VD 17, 12:127505M. Nebehay/Wagner II, 414. Graesse IV, 514. Jöcher III, 1573. Wetzer/Welte VIII, 1475. Deuticke, Salzburg cat., 420 (without plates). Graesse IV, 514.